How to Select a High-Speed Internet Service Provider
High-Speed Internet is an essential part of life for most people today, and any disruption can greatly affect your work and your ability to connect with those close to you. However, with multiple options available, it can be confusing at times when selecting a service provider that suits your needs. Read on to find out a few key things to keep in mind when selecting a high-speed internet service provider:
Different Types of High-Speed Internet Service Providers
The different technologies used by local internet service providers include:
- Digital Subscriber Lines (DSL: These transmit data using phone lines and are provided by phone companies.
- Cable Modems: These transmit data using cable lines and are provided by cable companies.
- Fiber Optics: These provide internet, phone, and TV services using a fiber optic cable.
- Satellite Internet Service: These are usually available where satellite television services are available.
- Mobile Wireless Service: These are usually 3G or 4G networks and are provided by mobile phone companies using a built-in or plug-in air card.
What determines Internet speeds
Internet speeds depend on a number of factors such as the technology being used and the tier of service that you have purchased. Usually, fiber optics transmit faster than cable. However, cable tends to be faster than DSL. Also, download speeds tend to be higher than upload speeds.
Questions to ask the Internet Service Providers
- Discounts and Offers: The internet service industry is highly competitive with providers constantly vying to attract and retain customers. Check with the provider if they are offering any discounts for multiple orders or any special offers. And if they offer any security or additional services.
- Setting up the connection: Check with the provider if any hardware or software needs to be purchased and installed such as cables, routers, modems, or satellite dishes. Also, check if any additional installation charges are going to be levied.
- Internet Download Speed: Ask your service provider what speeds you can expect and use free speed testing programs that are available online, to regularly check for any discrepancies.
- Changing plans: Check if switching between different plans involves any additional charges and if there is any cancellation fee.
- Customer Care: Find out who to contact in the case that the service is disrupted or if the power goes out.